Bank House 35 Thoroughfare IP19 8LE
Map No 2
Bank House is a fine Georgian house, with long banking and Quaker connections. The owners have recently purchased the closed Barclays bank next door and will show a model of how they plan to reincorporate it back into the house. Bank House was built in the 1760’s as a pair with ‘Georgian House’ next door, although the site has a longer history. The Tithe Map of 1577 marks the well which still exists in the Bank House cellar. The house’s long banking and Quaker connection began in 1782 when Gurney and Co opened its first branch in Halesworth. In 1855 the Gurneys used six of the rooms from Bank House to create the banking hall behind the facade (as seen today) which eventually become Barclays Bank (closed 2018).
William Hooker and family may have stayed at Bank House whilst the Brewery House, their Halesworth home, was completed. This was the time of James Turner, one of the Banking partners, who is credited with the remodelling of Bank House, creating a large hall and cantilever staircase. Donald Newby (a past resident of Bank House) is quoted as saying it reminded him of ‘the Liberal Club staircase in Londonî.
One of the residents of Bank House was the Bank’s Agent, Andrew Johnston, (of Holton Hall Park). Through his wife, Priscilla Johnston (nee Buxton), a connection with prison reform and philanthropy began, by her working with her father, Thomas Buxton, on the Emancipation of Slaves, continuing the work of William Wilberforce.
The current owners have created an elegant home, housing diverse collections including paintings, model theatres, Halesworth clocks and Teddy Bears.
Saturday 21st – 11.30, 14.30, 16.00
Sunday 2nd – 11.30, 14.30, 16.00
Max 8 people
Booking Essential via Cut Box Office
Nearest Parking: Town Car Park. Bank House is on the corner. Teddy bears in the window.
Bank 5 Facard
Bank 4 Ceiling
Bank 1 Ground
Copy Bill Jackson Foto
c Bill Jackson Foto