15 Chediston Street, IP19 8BE
Map No 3
This timber framed Grade II Listed building, one of the many former public houses in Halesworth, also includes features of a mediaeval Hall House from around 1450. After the November 1748 mention in the inventory of Philip Knights, no more references have been found until the 1841 census. showing that it was a pub or Inn, until the 1930 census. In 1855 it was called The Eagle and in 1871 The Spread Eagle but mostly it was called The Black Eagle.
On February 17th 1930 it was sold by Steward Patteson Ltd (of Pockthorpe Brewery Ltd Norwich) to Mr Arthur Spall of HM Ship President, Victoria Embankment, City of London for £500. The sale was made under the condition that it was not to be used to sell or manufacture intoxicating liquors and not a Club, Inn, Public House or Hotel. Pockthorpe Brewery clearly didn’t want competition for any of their other enterprises!
Ground floor only open: Saturday 20 – 10.00-12.30 and Sunday 21 – 10.00-12.30
Booking Not necessary
Nearest Parking: Market Place Car Park. Black Eagle is on your left walking down Chediston Street. Entrance is by the rear door.
Black Eagle 1
Black Eagle 2