Chapel House, Loam Pit Lane, IP19 8EZ
Extensively refurbished by its publisher owners this attractive dwelling has had a chequered history. It combines three buildings whose uses included being a Baptist Chapel, an egg packing station, making remould tyres and a commercial garage. The first and largest part of Chapel House was built in 1819 or 1820, as a 274 seat chapel, described in the 1868 National Register as belonging to the Particular Baptists, who differed from the General Baptists by believing in the doctrine of a particular atonement – that Christ died only for an elect – and were strongly Calvinist.
It was Lionel Sharman, a builder, who converted it into a house where he lived with his wife Maud. Lionel removed the roof from the middle building, making a sun roof. The third building was a derelict former garage which has been made habitable by the present owners who have installed in it an upper floor connecting via the sun roof.with the rest of the house.
Tours: Saturday 21st – 10.00, 14.30
Max 8 people
Booking Essential via Cut Box Office
Nearest Parking: Station Road Car Park. Loam Pit Lane is reached via the Southwold Road. It is a turning on the left immediately after you pass under the railway bridge.
Chapel House Front
Chapel House Back